Monday, November 20, 2017

A Reminder to Be Thankful

Today featured one of my reflections in the The Catholic Mom's Prayer Companion. It served as a good reminder for me today. Maybe one of you reading can use the reminder as well:



If the only prayer you ever say in your whole life is "thank you," that would suffice.- Meister Eckhart 

St. Ignatius of Loyola recommended that everyone make an examination of their day on a daily basis which consists of five steps: asking God for the light to see oneself clearly, giving thanks, reviewing the day, facing one’s shortcomings, and looking ahead to the day to come. For whatever reason: genetics, brain chemicals, hormones, etc., I am not naturally an optimistic, upbeat person. The clouds often loom; my cup is usually half-empty. I often wish I wasn’t that way, but it has been part of my lifelong cross. 

This evening ritual forces me to be thankful on a daily basis, to find the good things that I don’t always see or acknowledge, even though I should. My relationships are definitely one of those things. It can be easy to take the people we share our lives with for granted. I am extremely thankful for my family and friends, both the ones I see in real life and the ones I interact with through the gift of social media. I am especially thankful that there are people who care enough about me to pray for me. Hopefully, there are people out there who are thankful for me as well. 

Dear God, thank you for my wonderful friends and family. Please help me to always appreciate the gift of the people you have placed in my life. 

Question to Ponder: What and who do you have to be thankful for today? Be sure to take a moment to count your blessings and offer gratitude to God.






No comments:

How to Pray for Your Adult Children

  When our children become adults, our relationship with them changes. Even if they continue to live in our homes, in most cases, our role...