Friday, May 19, 2006

The DaVinci Deception


I've spent my limited free time the past two days reading "The Da Vinci Deception" by Mark Shea and Edward Sri, S.T.D. For anyone who hasn't heard, the movie came out today. In order to offer full disclosure, I have never read the book "The DaVinci Code." Honestly, I just really didn't care. It was a novel - a fact that otherwise sane people seem to skip over. I probably will see the movie - when it comes out on DVD and I get it from the library - in other words, sometime in 2007! Never-the-less, I have been aware of the issues raised in the book, and while Dan Brown is obviously not an art historian, an actual historian, or a theologian, he has managed to begin an international discussion on early Christianity. I consider this proof that God can create something good out of anything!

Anyway, back to the "Da Vinci Deception." My mother bought this book for me. My mother has been watching hours of EWTN discussing the various points of "The DaVinci Code" and how it is all crap. My husband who is a lawyer and enjoys arguing more than anything else in life, has taken the total opposite viewpoint. Honestly, I have a headache! "The DaVinci Deception" is a short book set up with 100 questions and answers. I enjoyed it because it was short and to the point and discussed all the major issues in "The DaVinci Code" and some I wasn't aware of. I learned quite a few things from it as well. So, if you are looking for a quick and dirty insight into the book and the issues it raises and if you are searching for the truth, this is a good book. It oversimplified some things such as the origin of the Gospels (unlike Dan Brown, I actually do have degrees in art, history, and theology!), but this is likely because the book is too short to allow a thorough discussion.

I also found a good posting by Amy Welborn (who has written a book dubunking "The Davinci Code" in her own right) at http://www.jesusdecoded.com/truthbetold2.php?page=2
To buy "The DaVinci Deception," visit http://www.DaVinciOutreach.com

No comments:

#OpenBook for March 2024

  Welcome to #OpenBook. I'm joining up with Carolyn Astfalk who hosts an #OpenBook Linkup on CatholicMom.com . Here's what I'v...