Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Our bodies are the temple of God

In the mail today I received the latest newsletter from the Springfield Rescue Mission. They are a wonderful Christian organization supporting the homeless in our community (which sadly there are many of). I send them donations whenever I can, but I admit that I usually just toss the newsletter in the recycling bin. I am ashamed to say that while I am happy to give monetary support to those who help the homeless, I don't like to be confronted head-on with it. I know that this sounds horrible, but it is easier when homelessness is anonymous. But for some reason today I opened the envelope and glanced at the newsletter. There was a profile about a man named Dave who is getting his life back on track.

Dave said that his favorite Bible verse is "Do you not know that you are the temple of God and that the Spirit of God dwells in you?" (1 Corinthians 3:16) As a recovering alcoholic, he was reflecting on what it means to respect your body. It is a good reminder for all of us. Our body is a gift from God, and we should treat it as such, taking good care of it.

No comments:

#OpenBook for March 2024

  Welcome to #OpenBook. I'm joining up with Carolyn Astfalk who hosts an #OpenBook Linkup on CatholicMom.com . Here's what I'v...