Thursday, October 19, 2006

Opening Our Eyes

Five-year-old David climbed into bed with us early this morning. He said "I had to go to the bathroom, and then I was coming in here to tell you I was blind, but then I opened up my eyes and I realized that I could see!"

I spent a good part of my day laughing over that comment, but I also realized that there is some truth to it. How many times do we walk around with our eyes closed? We choose not to see the truth of a situation. We fail to acknowledge the pain and suffering of someone close to us. We don't see the joy present in a given situation. We don't see God working every day in our lives. We, too, can be blind. But we can also open our eyes. God invites us to see and fully experience life with its full spectrum of colors. Will we accept the invitation?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You make a great point. I often find myself at the end of the day reflecting on the events of the previous 12 hours and wondering, "where was I?" I was blind to all of the wonderful gifts God blessed me with today. This inspires me to start each day with a prayer for sight, to see God's beautiful colors in every situation.

#OpenBook for March 2024

  Welcome to #OpenBook. I'm joining up with Carolyn Astfalk who hosts an #OpenBook Linkup on CatholicMom.com . Here's what I'v...