Wednesday, June 09, 2010

How to Help Your College Kids Remain Chaste

I admit, the thought of my children becoming sexually active scares the heck out of me. The world out there is scary. When I was a teenager twenty years ago, sex was at least something that usually took place within a committed relationship (that doesn't make it right, I know, and I also know that there were certainly exceptions to that). Some of the young people I know today, however, have sex to find out if a relationship is worth pursuing with someone! I'm thinking they have the cart before the horse here. I don't understand that mindset, yet it is very prevalent. It is just expected.

I understand the strong power of hormones. I understand that people make mistakes in the heat of a moment. I'm hoping beyond hope that somehow I can convince my children that waiting is worth it, for a whole host of practical reasons, but most of all because it is the right thing to do.

Ellen Gable Hrkach has a very good article up on Catholic Mom today on How to Help Your College Kids Remain Chaste. The only thing about the article I question is discouraging dating until college or after. I don't know how realistic that expectation is. Also, what if they meet their special person younger. My parents met in high school. A couple I know married over 20 years met when they were 13. It happens. Think what would have happened if these relationships were forbidden. I don't know that there is an easy answer to when to allow children to date. I think it is something that needs to be decided on a case by case basis in light of the maturity level of those involved.

2 comments:

not a minx, a moron, or a parasite said...

I would recommend the book "Unhooked" for parents and educators to read. It is a real eye-opener to the world your kids live in. As a young adult,I just recently escaped college as a relatively chaste person (still have struggles, of course), I hope parents talk more about chastity and emphasize the beauty of chastity!!

Patrice Fagnant-MacArthur said...

Thanks for the suggestion and thank you for reading this blog!

How to Pray for Your Adult Children

  When our children become adults, our relationship with them changes. Even if they continue to live in our homes, in most cases, our role...