Thursday, July 20, 2006

The Other Side of the Fence

Sometimes it takes a day on the other side of the fence to make you appreciate how green your own grass is. A former coworker gave me a call earlier this week and asked me if I could come in and give her a hand with a database she needed to set up. I love the people at my old job and I was happy to spend the afternoon helping them out. So, I spent four hours there today. It was wonderful to see everyone and I was able to accomplish what she needed help with.

And yet, it helped me appreciate the life I currently have even more. While a steady paycheck is obviously a perk I would enjoy, I do not miss office politics. If people could just realize that they are all working toward the same goal, life would be so much better for all involved.

Also, my parents were kind enough to watch the boys for me while I went. Unfortunately, Isaac spent the day whining and crying and generally trying my parents' patience. So, upon picking them up, I also had the guilt of having tormented my parents.

I am so lucky to be able to stay home with my children. Even when David or Isaac is having a rough day, at least I know I'm not burdening anyone else with their bad mood. I also don't have to be concerned with the latest gossip or be worry that someone else might be jockeying for my job. I need to remind myself of these things the next time I feel nostalgic for the life I left behind.

No comments:

#OpenBook for March 2024

  Welcome to #OpenBook. I'm joining up with Carolyn Astfalk who hosts an #OpenBook Linkup on CatholicMom.com . Here's what I'v...