Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Seeking Spiritual Direction

I just posted a review of Seeking Spiritual Direction by Fr. Thomas Dubay on my website. This was such a hard book for me to get through. I started it at the beginning of June. I read it through once and was really reluctant to go back and take notes on it (as I usually do with the books I review) because it made me feel so uncomfortable. I did, however, and as I reviewed the pages I had marked, the problem wasn't so much with the book (although it did have its weaknesses), as it was with me. It is hard to be reminded of how much work we have to do to progress in the spiritual life. It is hard to face one's own faults and the need for forgiveness and perseverance in pursuing a spiritual life. Jesus never said the road would be easy - in fact, he said the exact opposite - that the gate is narrow and that we would be rejected by the world. It is easy to become complacent in our spirituality, to think that because we say our prayers and go to Church we are just fine. We are all works in progress, and this book really served to remind of just how much more work I need.

No comments:

How to Pray for Your Adult Children

  When our children become adults, our relationship with them changes. Even if they continue to live in our homes, in most cases, our role...