Sunday, August 13, 2006

Time to Just "Be"

I was going for a walk down my street the other day and I happened to notice an elderly woman sitting in her back yard. That was all she was doing - just sitting, enjoying the beauty of the day. I couldn't help being inspired by that. I know that as a woman, and especially as a mother, I find it hard to give myself permission to relax. There is always something or someone waiting for my attention. The "to-do" list is never-ending. As soon as one item is crossed off, two more seem to take its place. Multi-tasking is the order of the day. I'm always trying to be productive.

Well, I had a chance yesterday to attempt to relax. My two young boys were going out with Grandma to a picnic for the day. I had seven glorious hours on a gorgeous summer day to do whatever I wanted. Now, Grandma takes the boys out pretty regularly. Usually at least once a month I have a few hours on a Saturday left to my own discretion and I do try to enjoy that time. I also try to accomplish as much as possible. Generally, home improvement tasks rank high on that list. Yesterday was just too beautiful to be spent inside, however. Plus I was vowing to be non-productive. I was going to relax!

My husband and I went out to play tennis. In our younger days, almost every good weather day would find us on the courts. We hadn't played in six years. When I found out I was expecting David, tennis was one of the first things to go. Needless to say, the six-year hiatus had not helped our game. At times, we were downright funny as we swung at balls and missed. But at the same time, it felt so good to have that racket back in my hand, and while our somewhat older bodies could only last one set, it was time well-spent. After that, we went to the library and then for a very leisurely lunch.

When we got home, I decided to take a nap - outdoors. I used to love sleeping outside on summer days, and once again, this was a luxury I hadn't had in years. I took my sleeping bag and a pillow and curled up on the deck. Granted, my neighbors probably thought I was crazy, but I honestly didn't care. It was glorious! It was warm and there was a gentle breeze blowing and I was happy and peaceful as could be. Even after two hours, I honestly didn't want to get up.

After that, I admit, I reverted back to productivity. I did some reading (which is something I enjoy immensely) and folded the laundry (it was Saturday, after all, and it did need to get done) and soon, the boys came home from their adventure and I was back to being Mommy. Still, it had been a wonderful day. I'll have to take time to just "be" again, soon.

No comments:

How to Pray for Your Adult Children

  When our children become adults, our relationship with them changes. Even if they continue to live in our homes, in most cases, our role...