Thursday, September 18, 2008

"The End of Feminism"

Genevieve S. Kineke wrote a very interesting article on The End of Feminism" today for Catholic Exchange. As someone who grew up in the 80s and 90s, the question of what it means to be a woman has always weighed heavily on me. I grew up with the conflicting ideals of being told I could do anything I wanted to, while at the same time having the role model of a stay-at-home mother in my own mother. I was always raised to believe that if I had children, it was my responsibility to raise them. In college, I was viewed as anti-woman and anti-feminist because I wanted to stay home and bring up my children. I always knew I wanted to do something career-wise as well, but I wanted it to be something I could do when the kids were in school or part-time. I didn't have it all figured out when I was in college. Honestly, I don't have it all figured out now. What does it mean to be a successful woman or a successful mother? That's a question I think I will always struggle with. The answer just isn't that easy.

Kineke makes an interesting point, however, that feminists (the ones associated with the National Organization for Women) aren't so much for women as they are against men, in particular, fathers. They are willing to acknowledge motherhood as being OK as long as it doesn't come within the traditional 2-parent family. Lesbian motherhood, sperm-bank motherhood, single motherhood - all these are OK. It is formally connecting your life with a man the way God intended that is looked at with scorn.

We do owe much to feminists - the ones who fought for a woman's right to vote and a woman's right to own property in her own name, and to obtain an education. Somewhere along the line, the push for equality went way off track, however. Instead of seeking equality with men, the movement started seeking sameness with men, and in many cases, superiority over men. Men began to be seen as evil in and of themselves. Now, many women are working to stem the tide and reclaim the relationship God intended for men and women. I hope that we will be successful.

No comments:

How to Pray for Your Adult Children

  When our children become adults, our relationship with them changes. Even if they continue to live in our homes, in most cases, our role...