Thursday, January 22, 2009

The Winter of Harry Potter

As I write this, we are watching Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (Widescreen Edition)
(again!). For us, this has been the winter of Harry Potter. Beginning in November, the boys and I started reading the books. Reading an average of 2 hours a day, it took us until last week to read all seven! I was a bit hesitant to read them, having heard that they weren't really "appropriate" Catholic reading. I also had read and heard several recommendations that the books were great, however, from people whose opinions I trust. I'm so glad that I took their suggestion. These books were wonderful, a classic tale of good conquering over evil. I'm inclined to think that those putting so much energy into putting them down probably didn't read them. The books provided us with hours and hours of enjoyment. I enjoyed them as much as the kids did (and believe me, I can't say that about everything that we read together - I never can get very excited about reading long books describing every ship in the Star Wars universe :) ). We have also watched all five movies as family movie night - we even got my husband excited about Harry! We are rereading book seven right now, then the boys said they want to start over. And so, I send out a hearty "thank you" to J.K. Rowling for her imagination and her use of language and for all the entertainment and enjoyment she has given so many.

1 comment:

Cheryl said...

We enjoy Harry over here (especially me). I'm enjoying reading your blog too.

How to Pray for Your Adult Children

  When our children become adults, our relationship with them changes. Even if they continue to live in our homes, in most cases, our role...