Wednesday, May 26, 2010

An Apology for Artists

I recently read Will I See My Dog In Heaven by Jack Wintz, OFM (review to come soon). For today, I am sharing a poem he wrote as a young man. As an artist/writer, I sometimes struggle with the purpose of it all. This was a good reminder for me.

An old monk made some tiger cubs
from lumps of moldy clay,
then found a block of cherry wood
and gaily carved a tray.
His abbot caught him later still
with water paints and brush,
all smiles and dabbling speckles
on a fresh and dazzling thrush.
"Jerome! Jerome!" the abbot cried,
"explain these vain distractions!
A monk should paint Madonnas -
depict nice, pious actions."
"Well, tell me sir," the monk replied,
while brushing off his habit,
"did God give you a good excuse
for making fox and rabbit?"


No comments:

How to Pray for Your Adult Children

  When our children become adults, our relationship with them changes. Even if they continue to live in our homes, in most cases, our role...