Tuesday, March 08, 2011

Where does this Lent find you?

I was trying to find something to post about today, and I came across this passage from scripture which is part of the lectionary readings for Ash Wednesday:

A clean heart create for me, O God, and a steadfast spirit renew within me.
Psalm 51:12

Isn't that something that we all need? A clean heart (and mind) and a steadfast spirit?

I find that each year when Lent rolls around, I am in a different place. There is always something I need from Lent. That is one of of the beauties of the Liturgical Year. Imagine having Lent only once in your lifetime! The Church in its wisdom figured out that we need this time set-apart for repentance and sacrifice on a regular basis. We need to do the hard work of looking at our spiritual lives more deeply.

Where are you in your life right now? What is God asking you to bring to Him during this holy season? What aspects of your spiritual life have been neglected during the past year? What pain needs to be laid at the foot of the cross?

The six weeks of Lent offer us a wonderful opportunity to focus on our spiritual selves - to work on that clean heart and steadfast spirit. I hope and pray that this season is a fruitful one for each of you and that by the time Easter morning comes you are truly able to rejoice and say "Alleluia, Christ is Risen."

No comments:

#OpenBook for March 2024

  Welcome to #OpenBook. I'm joining up with Carolyn Astfalk who hosts an #OpenBook Linkup on CatholicMom.com . Here's what I'v...