Thursday, June 21, 2012

Patron Saint Quilts

I'm excited about this new quilting project I am working on - featuring quilt blocks designed to honor different saints. The inspiration came from
the Women of Courage quilt patterns, which are blocks created to honor different women who have made a difference in our world. One of the women  included was Blessed Mother Teresa!

That got me thinking, if Mother Teresa can have a quilt block, why not other saints? I Googled and didn't find anything, so I decided to design them myself - a fun project for my artistic side. I have quite a few blocks designed at this point - it is the actual creation of them that takes some time. I'm far from being a skilled seamstress - I sew by hand and my stitches are not necessarily what one would call precise. While my projects are made with love and enthusiasm, I'm sure many of you out there could do a much better job with the execution.

This first block pictured is in honor of our Blessed Virgin Mary - a lily, representing purity, on a field of blue, one of the colors most associated with Mary. To download the free pattern pieces, please click here: Quilt Block in Honor of Our Blessed Mother

I have also started a blog to follow the progress of this project and to share the quilt patterns: http://patronsaintquilts.blogspot.com . I will probably share some updates on this blog as well. I hope to be able to create a new block every couple weeks. If you have a special request for a particular saint, please feel free to leave a comment or send me an email at pfmacarthur at comcast.net.


No comments:

How to Pray for Your Adult Children

  When our children become adults, our relationship with them changes. Even if they continue to live in our homes, in most cases, our role...