Monday, June 12, 2006

A New Page is Turning

Peggy Weber is one of my favorite writers. She writes a "Spun from the Web" column about her family and life for "The Catholic Observer," our local Diocesan newspaper. I have never met her but people who know both of us say that I remind them of her - I consider that a complement. If she ever decides to step down, I would love to take over her column! In this past week's column which you can read here she was discussing how she had packed her last school lunch. Her youngest daughter just graduated from high school (as valedictorian, I might add!) I remember reading her column back when little Elizabeth was starting school. Now, I am getting ready to reach that same milestone myself.

I took David to get his school uniforms today. $193 later (I'm still experiencing sticker shock from that one) he is all set for the year - both for class and gym. Uniforms have come a long way since I was in school where I owned two jumpers and two shirts. David can wear navy blue shorts in Sept, Oct, May and June if it is warm. He has his regular dress pants, both short-sleeve and long-sleeve light blue polo shirts, a pullover sweater for winter, gym sweats and t-shirt and short set. He does look very grown-up in all of it. He's so worried about going to school. He says he doesn't want to go. I told him that now that he has his uniforms he has to - he said that he wished today had never come! I keep telling him that he will be fine and have a wonderful time, but inside I'm not so sure and try as I might to hide it, I think that he senses it.

Tonight I went to my first school-related meeting. I am a new member of the technology committee. I've also just been elected to the Parish Council at our church. I feel so over my head, so out of my element, so like a fish out of water. I'm sure it will all work out fine. Somehow, both David and I will get through this major transition in our lives.

No comments:

How to Pray for Your Adult Children

  When our children become adults, our relationship with them changes. Even if they continue to live in our homes, in most cases, our role...