Thursday, June 29, 2006

Tuck me in

This was sent to me today. I thought it was a wonderful reminder on how people can need us even though they may not show it or ask for our assistance.


TUCK ME IN

“But we were gentle among you, even as a nurse cherisheth her children.”
1 Thessalonians 2: 7
King James Version



When I worked in nursing homes, I usually worked eleven at night until seven in the morning because that is the time when the patients need comforting the most. I had to make bed check every two hours and when I found someone who was awake and upset, I would stay as long as possible and talk to the patient. As badly as I disliked leaving them, I had to go on to the next patient so I would kiss them and tuck them in like we would tuck in a little child.

One night, a patient put on her call light who very rarely called for any help. When I went to her room and asked her how I could help her, she said something to me that penetrated deep into my heart and I have never forgotten it. She said “Why don’t you kiss me and tuck me in too”? I just looked at her as my heart broke and told her that I was sorry.

The reason I had not tucked her in is because she appeared to never need anything or anyone. She was always smiling even in the middle of the night. O dear friends, sometimes the most devastating heartaches are hidden behind a smile. Joyce Landorf, an author and speaker, says on one of her teaching tapes “The people you sit next to in church may look fine and darling, but inside they are hurting”.

It is important that we smile and spread the love of Jesus to all people, but it is also vital that we be honest with our emotions. Jesus is honest with His emotions. He has told us how it hurts Him when we treat each other with criticism and sarcasm. Let’s tuck people in with the love of Jesus.

Joanne Lowe
June 29, 2006
joannelowe8@cox.net
http://joannelowe.blogspot.com/

No comments:

How to Pray for Your Adult Children

  When our children become adults, our relationship with them changes. Even if they continue to live in our homes, in most cases, our role...