Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Thoughts on Suffering

Here is a quote from Grace MacKinnon:

Suffering is indeed a great mystery, but the Lord has revealed to me its secret. It is all about love. If we look beyond the suffering of the cross, beyond the nails in His hands and his feet, we will see love. That is why today we wear the crucifix - to remember the love that Jesus' sacrifice took. We must never forget. If we attend Mass, for example, and witness His suffering for us in the sacrifice, yet walk away from it not transformed it Him, not ready to go out and love, then we have missed the whole purpose of the Mass.

That is why I believe suffering is unique when it takes place in a visible way. It becomes a transforming sign of love. If I suffer in a manner that can be seen through my life, I can show the world that when we live in Christ, although we may look weak, in Him we are strong!



From Amazing Grace for Those Who Suffer: 10 Life-Changing Stories of Hope and Healing (The Amazing Grace Series)

No comments:

#OpenBook for March 2024

  Welcome to #OpenBook. I'm joining up with Carolyn Astfalk who hosts an #OpenBook Linkup on CatholicMom.com . Here's what I'v...