Just in time for Father's Day!
The identity and purpose of fathers in contemporary society is more uncertain than ever before. Cultural shifts such as rising rates of divorce and single motherhood, conception through sperm donation and in-vitro fertilization, and the educational and professional advancements of women have confused traditional paternal roles and family unit structures. As a result, a perception has been created whereby fatherhood is undervalued…or altogether unnecessary. But this perception is misguided-especially for Catholic fathers who are vital to supporting the structure of the family unit: the “domestic church.”
In this collection of faith-filled reflections by fourteen Catholic men, the value of a Catholic father’s identity and purpose is affirmed in the context of modern society. Acknowledging our workaholic tendencies and the constant struggle to strike a balance between family life and work life, fathers are provided with a realistic approach to making their relationships with God, their wives, and children more involved and fulfilling.
Blending personal anecdotes from Catholic fathers, models of fatherhood in Jesus’ parables, Scriptural passages, references to other publications, and allusions to Church teachings and figures of authority, this guidebook helps Catholic dads find the path to living as faithful family men through three simple steps: pray, love, confess.
Table of Contents:
- Foreword by Cardinal Timothy Michael Dolan
- Introduction: Dads in Deed, by Brian Caulfield
- 1: The Prodigal Son Meets the Forgiving Father, by Mike Aquilina
- 2: St. Joseph: A Man’s Man, by Rick Sarkisian
- 3: Balancing Work and Home Life: Insights from the Experts, by Brian Caulfield
- 4: Five Steps for Disciplining Kids, by Ray Guarendi
- 5: Good Sports for Kids, by Gerald Korson
- 6: A Father’s Vital Presence, by Deacon Harold Burke-Sivers
- 7: The Best Sex You Will Ever Have, by Jonathan Doyle
- 8: Theology of the Body for Fathers, by Damon C. Owens
- 9: Millennials, Morality, and New Evangelization, by Jason Godin
- 10: Superdad: More Than an Action Figure, by Bill Donaghy
- 11: You Can Keep Your Kids Catholic, by Patrick Madrid
- 12: Repairing a Broken Marriage, by Peter Kleponis
- 13: Breaking the Chains of Porn, by Mark Houck
- Conclusion: Three Simple Steps, by Brian Caulfield