Monday, January 30, 2006

Different Roles in the Same World

I just finished reading the February/March issue of Pink Magazine, a new magazine for professional women. It is an intelligent magazine and I enjoyed it. I'm all for any magazine that profiles women who are intelligent and capable. Admittedly, I have very little in common with the women this magazine is targeted at. I have never made, nor am I likely to ever make, a six figure salary. While I have an advanced degree, it is in theology, not business or law. And while I run my own business, the entrepreneurs who founded this magazine would no doubt have fits of laughter examining my balance sheet! Still, I enjoy reading about successful women.

I think success can be defined many different ways. I used to read magazines such as "Working Mother" and wonder how these women could do it all. Reading their resumes gave me a serious case of self-loathing. After all, if so-and-so could have three children, a full-time job and finish up their doctoral degree, why can't I? The truth is, however, no one woman can do it all. We all make choices in life based on our own priorities and needs. Nobody can give 100% to every area of her life. So, I have made my choices and 99 days out of 100, I am happy with them.

I still enjoy reading about others who have made different choices, however, and who seem equally happy with them. We all have different roles in this world. If we pray every day and try to live our life in accordance with what God wants, we won't go wrong. So whether our role is a high-profile one or the much less visible but no less important role of a stay-at-home mom, we all have our part in the divine plan. Our different roles and different contributions all help the world be a better replace.

No comments:

How to Pray for Your Adult Children

  When our children become adults, our relationship with them changes. Even if they continue to live in our homes, in most cases, our role...