Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Divine Mercy

As I have mentioned, I have been reading the Diary of Saint Faustina. This book was recommended to me by my mother. My mother isn't much of a reader due to eye issues but she likes to watch EWTN on TV a great deal and has learned much about the Divine Mercy chaplet and novena. I had heard of it and even went to the Shrine of the Divine Mercy in nearby Stockbridge, MA when I was a child, but admittedly knew very little about it, so I told her I would see if I could find the book. I am so glad I did.

When I first picked up this book, I thought, "There is no way I am going to get through this book!" It is 700 pages long and as I have mentioned, I am spending most of my evenings working on the Signs-etc. website for my boss. But amazingly, I have read 500 pages of this book this week. I find it hard to put down. It is absolutely amazing and life-changing. In some respects, her writing reminds me of that of St. Therese in Story of a Soul, but she was more of a mystic like Teresa of Avila. Saint Faustina was graced by direct communication with Jesus and was directed to keep a diary of her spiritual progress by her superiors and spiritual director. To read the words Jesus spoke to her are incredible. To hear of how much sin pains him and how much he wants to pour out his mercy upon those who seek it really makes you reevaluate your life.

It is also inspirational to read of the strengths and weaknesses of even a great soul. She had her moments of despair and frustration with the Lord, just as we all do. She questioned whether her visions were illusions. She suffered under confessors who did not understand and the slow rate of progress in carrying out what Jesus asked her to do. She also suffered from great physical pain.

While most of us are not called by Jesus in the same way Saint Faustina was, we are all called by God to live out our own potential, to do his will, to stay away from sin and to seek his mercy when we fail. We are also called to pray for others, both living and deceased, all of whom are part of the Communion of Saints.

I strongly recommend this book. It will change your outlook on life and death.

No comments:

How to Pray for Your Adult Children

  When our children become adults, our relationship with them changes. Even if they continue to live in our homes, in most cases, our role...