Tuesday, February 28, 2006

The Martha Rules

I know that given this blog is about spirituality, you are likely to think from the title that this is about Martha from the Bible, but no, the title actually refers to Martha Stewart. (Although Martha in the Bible was known for her domestic skills so it just might be something in the name.) I just read her book "The Martha Rules: 10 Essentials for Achieving Success as you Start, Build, or Manage a Business." I enjoy reading business books because I do run a business, albeit a small one, and I am always looking for new ideas. I also admire Martha Stewart because she was able to take an incredibly negative experience (prison time) and turn it into something positive. She bonded with her fellow prisoners. This book actually came out of that experience, because her fellow inmates came to her and asked for advice on how to start their own businesses.

In "The Martha Rules," she provides solid business advice, much of which can be found in other business books. What sets her apart though is her total respect for her customers, her commitment to quality, and her desire to make the world a more beautiful place.

While I can (and certainly try) to incorporate many of these ideas into my Spiritual Woman website, some just aren't applicable. For example, I definitely believe in quality - I try to pick what I feel are the best articles to help women on their spiritual journey. When I write articles or blog entries, I take pride in my work and try to put my very best out there. But while Martha Stewart works at making our physical world beautiful (which is indeed important), I work at helping women have beautiful souls, and souls belong to God. Any good that I may accomplish, any lives that I may touch, is through the grace of God. I'm not looking for there ever to be a "Patrice MacArthur" brand because it is not about me.

I also don't really feel like I am in competition with anyone. All of us who write on spirituality or work to help bring people to God are really working for the same team. I don't feel like some are better than others. I think different writers speak to different people at different stages of their lives. How could there ever be too many workers in the vineyard?

So, I will stick with my mission of helping women to live extraordinary lives rooted in God, and leave the rest in God's hands. I will most likely never have Martha Stewart's influence, but perhaps I will help some people deepen their relationship with God. That has a reward that can't be measured in stock options.

No comments:

How to Pray for Your Adult Children

  When our children become adults, our relationship with them changes. Even if they continue to live in our homes, in most cases, our role...