Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Celebrating our Giftedness

"Now you are Christ's body, and individually parts of it. Some people God has designated in the church to be, first, apostles; second, prophets; third, teachers; then, mighty deeds; then, gifts of healing, administration, and varieties of tongues. Are all apostles? Are all prophets? Are all teachers? Do all work mighty deeds? Do all have gifts of healing? Do all speak? Do all interpret? Strive eagerly for the greatest spiritual gifts." 1 Corinthians 13:27-31

St. Paul tells us that we are all part of Christ's body and that we all have some gift we can bring to the table as an offering and a means of helping the church (also known as "the people of God.") It is wonderful to watch people who are gifted in certain areas putting their talents to use. When people use their gifts, other people are enriched by their actions.

For example, David's new soccer coach is wonderful. I had heard high praise for her before he joined the team and I have been just as impressed. A mother of three boys and a lawyer by day, she interacts so well with these kids. She is organized, knowledgable about the sport, and cares about the children. We are lucky to have her.

The same holds true for the woman who runs our Religious Education program and our Pastoral Minister. These two women are just so good at what they do. They touch people's lives on a daily basis. We have had other people in these positions in the past who have been extremely well-meaning and competent and gave all that they had to the jobs, but the two we currently have are truly gifted in the areas they work in. These are the jobs they were meant to do.

It can be hard though to find where our own particular brand of giftedness fits in. Sometimes we don't find the perfect job or volunteer opportunity to utilize those gifts. Sometimes we just feel like square pegs sitting in round holes. I know I get that sense about myself on occasion. For example, I am on my parish council. I really don't know what benefit I bring to this group but I am trying to do my best with it.

When it comes to Religious Education, I try to do no harm. I tried teaching children in the past and it was a disaster. I do wonderful with adults and with my own children. I look at a group of other people's children and I have nothing to say. So, when my director of religious education approached me to help out last year, I agreed to volunteer as a teacher's assistant. I can pass out papers and art supplies, take children to the bathroom, help answer questions about the project we are working on, etc. Here I can be useful. The woman actually doing the teaching, on the other hand, does have a gift for teaching.

I feel that my gifts are in my writing ability. I hope that people benefit from them and that this is my small way of helping the church. Yet, even then, sometimes it's hard to know. It's wonderful when someone takes the time to write to say that I've helped them in some way and absolutely lousy when, like today, my mail brings a rejection letter which stated that my ideas just aren't "exciting" or "unusual" enough. I'll keep on, though, because at least here I feel like I'm where I belong. So thank you for letting me share my gifts (modest though they may be) with you. And I hope that you, too, find a place where you can make the most of the gifts God has given you.

No comments:

How to Pray for Your Adult Children

  When our children become adults, our relationship with them changes. Even if they continue to live in our homes, in most cases, our role...