Sunday, September 03, 2006

The Power of Our Words

Yesterday I lectored for the last time at my parish. I have been a lector for just about as long as I have been able to read, beginning with school masses at my Catholic grammar school and then at age 16 as an "official" lector at Sunday masses. When I joined my current parish after I got married, I was eager to continue this ministry. However, God has now called me to new roles in my parish community and I don't want to take more time than I have to away from my family; something had to go.

Still, it was with a heavy heart that I went to Church last night. I have always enjoyed lectoring. 99% of the time, my lectoring goes unnoticed which is how it should be. The focus should be on the Word of the Lord, not on who is proclaiming it. Yet, last night, God spoke through some of my fellow parishioners in my hour of need. Three different people commented on how well I lector - one before mass, one during mass, and one after. None of the three knew this was my last day, and yet their words meant so much to me. It was if God was saying, "You have done a good job. Go in peace."

Our words can often have an effect far beyond that which we may intend. God can speak through our words to share love and consolation with other people. It is so easy to offer a kind word to someone and brighten their day in the process. With our families, we can use our words to build up, rather than tear down. If a criticism must be offered, it can be done with kindness rather than anger. We can offer praise and encouragement whenever possible. We can say "I love you," "I appreciate you," and "I'm glad that you are here." We can say "Thank you," and when needed, "I'm sorry." A harsh word, once spoken, can never be taken back, but by the same token, a kind word can live forever. Our words have power. Use them wisely.

No comments:

How to Pray for Your Adult Children

  When our children become adults, our relationship with them changes. Even if they continue to live in our homes, in most cases, our role...