Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Ash Wednesday

I took the boys to get ashes for the first time in their lives today. I decided that they were old enough to understand the symbolism and participate in the ritual marking the beginning of Lent. We went to a brief noontime prayer service at our parish led by our pastoral minister. I had prepared the children beforehand explaining to them what the ashes were and that someone would make the sign of the cross on their forehead and that they would have a dark smudge there after - an outward sign of their Christianity.

After the service, I took them to our local science museum which is featuring a special dinosaur exhibit right now. It was a special treat during David's vacation from school. I was a little self-conscious as we walked in this very public place with the outward signs of our Christianity plastered literally across our foreheads. Of course, I should not have felt that way at all. I should be proud of my Christianity, and people should be able to tell I am a Christian by the way that I treat others whether or not there is a visible sign on me.

No comments:

How to Pray for Your Adult Children

  When our children become adults, our relationship with them changes. Even if they continue to live in our homes, in most cases, our role...