Thursday, February 22, 2007

for one more day



Yesterday I read "for one more day" by Mitch Albom, author of "Tuesdays with Morrie" and "The Five People You Meet in Heaven." This time he tells the story of Chick Benetto, a washed up ballplayer who has lost his relationship with his wife and daughter. After he finds out that his daughter has gotten married and not invited him to the wedding, he decides to commit suicide. As he lingers between life and death, he gets to spend one more day with his mother, a woman with whom he had had a somewhat tumultuous relationship.

I like Mitch Albom's books. They are short and to the point and you can read them in one day. They also make you think. This one started me thinking about my own little boys. I can't help but wonder what they'll think of me as they get older. They love me now. Isaac is practically attached to my hip most of the time. But I know that in a few short years, these two boys who love hugs and kisses from their mommy will shy away from them. They will become embarrassed of me as all teens are embarrassed of their mothers. I can only hope that as they get older they will come to appreciate me. I hope that they remember me reading stories to them and playing games with them and baking goodies with them and saying prayers with them. Most of all, though, I hope that they remember that I loved them as much as any mother can love.

No comments:

#OpenBook for March 2024

  Welcome to #OpenBook. I'm joining up with Carolyn Astfalk who hosts an #OpenBook Linkup on CatholicMom.com . Here's what I'v...