Friday, March 02, 2007

Challenging Moments

Isaac was having a rough day today - maybe it was the full moon. Maybe it is just that he is four and still somewhat prone to having "moments." We went grocery shopping, and as usual, he and David hung out at the on-site kids club they have in our store while Bernie and I did the shopping. As I always do, I picked up the kids at the kids club after checking out while Bernie put the bags in the car.

Except Isaac didn't want to leave and was quite vocal about this. Once I got him out of the kids club, he wanted to go look at some of the "Peeps" - those little marshmallow chicks that come out at Easter time. They had a huge display. He started crying that he wanted some blue Peeps - blue being his favorite color. I told him, "Not today but maybe there will be some in your Easter basket." He started screaming at the top of his lungs - "No. I want Peeps today!" Of course, I couldn't give in and reward the behavior even though quite a bit of negative attention was heading my direction. It was one of those wonderful moments in which people with no children look on and say "My child would never act like that!" and you can only imagine what a bad mother people must think you are.

I did manage to get both boys out of the store and to get Isaac's attention focused on something else. Alls well that ends well, I suppose, but public temper tantrums are never fun.

No comments:

#OpenBook for March 2024

  Welcome to #OpenBook. I'm joining up with Carolyn Astfalk who hosts an #OpenBook Linkup on CatholicMom.com . Here's what I'v...