Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Miracles of Motherhood

One of the coolest things about being a writer is actually seeing something you have written in print. Most of my writing is done for the web and I enjoy the immediacy of the medium. I write something, submit, and generally within a week or two it is up for the world to see. Here on my blog it is up immediately!

Writing for books and magazines is much different. There are long lead times. You submit something and then wait to hear, get a piece accepted, and then wait some more. So, over a year ago, I had two prayers accepted for this new anthology "Miracles of Motherhood: Prayers and Poems for a New Mother" by June Cotner. This week I received both my payment for the submissions and two copies of the book. I read it cover to cover that day!

It really is a wonderful little gem of a book, with prayers and poems from conception through toddlerhood and beyond. Even though I am past the new mother stage at this point, I found it enjoyable to read through and remember those early days of parenthood. One quote from Mother Teresa I found particularly meaningful as having a broader application than just for mothers:

The very fact that God has placed a certain soul in our way is a sign that God wants us to do something for him or her. It is not chance; it has been planned by God. We are bound by conscience to help him or her.

This book would make a wonderful gift for any expectant or new mother.


1 comment:

Unknown said...

I can't wait to read it Patti. I miss being a new mother. :(

How to Pray for Your Adult Children

  When our children become adults, our relationship with them changes. Even if they continue to live in our homes, in most cases, our role...