Friday, July 06, 2007

Sacrament of Healing

I read something recently that referred to the Sacrament of Reconciliation as a Sacrament of Healing. I had never thought of it that way, but that is exactly what it is - we come with our weakness and sin and brokenness and God cleanses and heals us. No matter how many times we are broken and are in need of healing, God's forgiveness is always there.

At the beginning of mass, we offer the following prayer:

I confess to almighty God,
and to you, my brothers and sisters,
that I have sinned through my own fault,
in my thoughts and in my words,
in what I have done,
and in what I have failed to do;
and I ask blessed Mary, ever virgin,
all the angels and saints,
and you, my brothers and sisters,
to pray for me to the Lord, our God.


It is there that we acknowledge the community aspect of our sin as well as our ability to pray for each other. This prayer has been on my mind lately. It is time to offer my brokenness to God.

No comments:

How to Pray for Your Adult Children

  When our children become adults, our relationship with them changes. Even if they continue to live in our homes, in most cases, our role...