Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Time for Confession?

My family and I went to our parish's Advent Penance service tonight. Even though I go to confession on a regular basis, there is something powerful about going in a large group where everyone is acknowledging their sinfulness and their need to be reconciled with God and neighbor.

When I attend these penance services where there are many priests, most of whom I do not know, I always pray to get the person I need at that time. The priest I had tonight really spoke to my heart (I cried a bit which was something I didn't expect at all) and he gave me one of those creative penances that I need to do over a couple days. It was quite a meaningful experience.

For those of you questioning whether you actually need to go to confession, or need a refresher course on how to go, The National Catholic Register has a wonderful one page guide: The How and Why of Confession

No comments:

How to Pray for Your Adult Children

  When our children become adults, our relationship with them changes. Even if they continue to live in our homes, in most cases, our role...