Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Accepting Your Child's Career Choices

I'm trying to keep an open mind about my children's career choices. I know that God has given them a certain tool set of gifts and I pray with them every day that they grow up to be the people that God wants them to be, that they have the career and vocation that they should.

I recently came across this helpful article in St. Anthony Messenger: When I Grow Up on helping your teens make good career choices and supporting them in those choices.

Catholic parents should recognize that every legitimate job is a divine calling. Each person in whatever job he or she may choose can be part of God's work for accomplishing the world's daily tasks. In making career decisions, teens need help, not control, from their parents. 

. . . The college major or job chosen may not meet with your approval. It may even throw a monkey wrench into all the plans you had for your child. But remember, God works in his own way to call people into many different fields of work. "Plans fail when there is no counsel, but they succeed when counselors are many" (Prv 15:22). 

If you keep open the lines of communication, then living with your child's decisions will become easier for both of you. And, in the final analysis, God's plan for your teenager's life will ultimately unveil itself.

Please read the full article here: When I Grow Up

No comments:

#OpenBook for March 2024

  Welcome to #OpenBook. I'm joining up with Carolyn Astfalk who hosts an #OpenBook Linkup on CatholicMom.com . Here's what I'v...