Wednesday, November 07, 2012

After the Election - Making a Difference

 I went to bed with a heavy heart last night, but today I am thankful that question #2 on assisted suicide was voted down in Massachusetts. That is one bright spot! Also, I've been through enough election cycles to know that the sun will continue to rise and life will go on. God is ultimately the one in charge.

There are a lot of things beyond our personal control in this world (collective election results among them), but we each have the ability to work to make our own little corner of the world a better place. Lisa Hendey reminds us of that today in her post: After the Election: Be the Change You Desire.

She writes:


I’ll be the first to admit that I cannot change our entire country. But I can change my own little corner of it each and every day.

I can feed hungry folks in my community. I can nurture and love the teenagers in my life and their friends so that young women will not find themselves in need of choosing against the sanctity of human life. I can learn to communicate more effectively with families living in my town who have languages and cultures and needs that vary from my own. I can be active at my parish, which is a major source of support for the hungry, the poor and the lonely where I live. And I can continue to believe that the actions of each of our families do have an impact and that one little suburban housewife does have a responsibility in this world.

No comments:

#OpenBook for March 2024

  Welcome to #OpenBook. I'm joining up with Carolyn Astfalk who hosts an #OpenBook Linkup on CatholicMom.com . Here's what I'v...