Friday, November 02, 2012

Praying for All Souls

It's an odd hobby, but I really enjoy walking around cemeteries. I like to look at the stones, and read whatever information is on them and wonder about the people who lived their lives between the dashes of the dates. I find cemeteries to be peaceful places, and in a strange way, I feel at home there. Or perhaps, it isn't so strange.

After all, as Catholics, we believe in the Communion of Saints, that we are all connected - those in heaven, those in purgatory, and those on earth. And so, as I walk the cemetery, I pray for the souls of those whose bodies lie beneath the earth, and hope that one day, some future passer-by may do the same for me when my time on this earth has come to an end.

Eternal rest grant unto them, O Lord, and let perpetual light shine upon them. May they rest in peace. Amen.

No comments:

How to Pray for Your Adult Children

  When our children become adults, our relationship with them changes. Even if they continue to live in our homes, in most cases, our role...