Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Spelling Word Stress

Since the beginning of March, David's kindergarten class has had spelling words each week to learn - simple little words that children do need to learn like "at" and "go" and "in" and "out." For the past few weeks there were 4 words each week and David had studied and received a 100% each week and a designation as a "super speller!" which he was very excited about. Last week there were 5 words and he could never quite get his mind around "are." Most of the time we practiced, he spelled it "art." On his test he wrote "ape." So, he got an 80% which he didn't seem to be too upset about.

This week, however, the words are even harder. Three of them have four letters and I am at a loss as to how to help him. Like I have with his other words, I have him write them three times each day and we practice out loud, but the poor boy truly doesn't have a clue. I try to have him sound them out, but words like "said" and "have" have silent letters that just need to be remembered. He asked me, "What happens if I try my best and I get them all wrong?" I told him as long as he tried his best, that was all we could ask of him.

I did a Google search and came across this article: Helping your Child with Spelling which had many good ideas. I don't know how much it will help him by Friday, however. Please say a prayer to the Holy Spirit for my little boy to somehow remember these words. Thank you!

No comments:

How to Pray for Your Adult Children

  When our children become adults, our relationship with them changes. Even if they continue to live in our homes, in most cases, our role...