Thursday, May 31, 2007

What's In Your Yearbook?

I read Lisa Hendey's blog faithfully. The owner of the Catholic Mom website, she and I have worked together the past few years. We live 3000 miles apart but I think we are kindred spirits of sorts. We seem to have similar ways of dealing with things, are both the mothers of two sons, and do web design when we are not working on supporting women in their faith journeys. She is about 10 years further along in life than I am, and as a result, I definitely consider her a mentor, both professionally and personally. She has been married 21 years (today!) and her oldest son is just finishing his first year of high school. I loved her post today What's in Your Yearbook?. As David finishes up Kindergarten next Thursday, this has been a truly memorable year for all of us. There were truly times I didn't think any of us were going to make it. There was definitely a learning curve for all of us.

It was a new chapter in our lives and now it seems I will be beginning another new chapter. I have been offered a part-time position as "safety officer" in our parish, basically making sure that all parish and school volunteers have had their background checks done and have been trained in spotting child abuse, and keeping records. In exchange, David's tuition at the school will be waived. How could I say "No?"

Accepting this position means that I needed to put Isaac in pre-school for next year. I have mixed feelings about that. I know he is certainly old enough to go to school. I also think he will have a good time with the other kids. I do worry that he won't be challenged intellectually. On the plus side, it is only three days a week which means he and I can still bond over Monopoly games and multiplication two days a week so hopefully he won't lose his advanced ability. He is excited, though, about being able to go to school with his big brother. So, I will be returning to the world of outside work and my two boys will both be in school. It looks like next year will be an adventure as well!

No comments:

How to Pray for Your Adult Children

  When our children become adults, our relationship with them changes. Even if they continue to live in our homes, in most cases, our role...