Sunday, June 24, 2007

Everyday Miracles

You created my inmost self, knit me together in my mother’s womb.
For so many marvels I thank you; a wonder am I, and all your works are wonders.

Psalm 139:13-14

A first glimpse of a child usually comes in utero these days, while the child is still being “knitted together.” When I was pregnant with my first child, I remember staring at the monitor with anticipation, straining to make out body parts in the grainy image. The technician was so wonderful, pointing out arms and legs and a tiny little button nose. I was so proud of those first pictures, showing all the people I worked with, and making copies for grandparents. I still have them stored in a baby book. My swelling belly contained a child! There was a real person in there, complete with fingers and toes. He was so tiny – only a few inches in length, and yet all the parts were there. He was a real-life miracle.

We are all miracles created by God, a unique manifestation of His image. When was the last time you thought of yourself in that way? We are much more likely to concentrate on all the things that are wrong with us. We tend to poke our bodies and point out their flaws. We lament the effects of gravity. We notice the wrinkles and age spots. We focus on our medical issues, the systems that don’t seem to work quite the way that they did when we were young.

Yet in God’s eyes we are indeed “wonders,” the work of His hands. Think of all the things our bodies can do. Right now, I am typing this article. My fingers move in easy rhythm against the computer keys. Due to years of practice, they know exactly where to go to strike the right letter. I don’t even need to think about it anymore.

Think of a young child learning to walk. She reaches up and stands and then finds the courage to let go, take a step and then land on her bottom. Yet, she is not deterred. She tries again and again until she can walk across the room. Soon, she is confident on her feet and ready to run. Most of us walk with ease. Think about the coordination of mind and body that seemingly simple action takes.

Every day, we breathe, and eat, and move, and think, and feel. We also create. Witness beautiful works of art or music or literature. Are they not miracles on a smaller scale? We are able to love and be loved. We are able to show affection. We can pray. We can laugh. We can sing and dance. We can experience life in all of its ups and downs.

God created us body and soul. There will never be another person exactly like us who will walk this earth. Even identical twins are very different. Each of us can celebrate with the psalmist: “For so many marvels I thank you; a wonder am I, and all your works are wonders!”

No comments:

#OpenBook for March 2024

  Welcome to #OpenBook. I'm joining up with Carolyn Astfalk who hosts an #OpenBook Linkup on CatholicMom.com . Here's what I'v...