Tuesday, November 23, 2010

More from "The Confessions of St. Augustine"

I definitely need to finish this book . . .

Here are a few more quotes worth pondering (obviously the whole book is worth pondering, but I can't reprint the whole book here.)

For Thou shalt light my candle, O Lord my God, Thou shalt enlighten the darkness; and of Thy fullness have we all received, for Thou art the true light that lighteth every man that cometh into the world; for in Thee there is no variableness, neither shadow of change.


But, Lord God of truth, does a man please you by knowing all these things? For the man who knows them all, but does not know you, is unhappy, and happy is the man who knows you, even if he does not know these other things. And he who knows both you and them is not the happier because of them but is only happy because of you, if knowing Thee, he glorifies Thee as God, and is thankful and becomes not vain in his imaginations.


Who else is it who calls us back from the death of error, except the life that does not know death, and the wisdom which, needing no light, enlightens minds which are in darkness, that wisdom by which the whole world, even to the leaves of trees drifting in the wind, is governed?

1 comment:

Arti said...

I came across an article ‘Watch out for Unprecedented Challenges’. I found it to be a good read and I know that it would be of interest to you too. You can read at http://www.oneworldacademy.com/gallery/publications/watch-out-for-unprecedented-challenges.php

#OpenBook for March 2024

  Welcome to #OpenBook. I'm joining up with Carolyn Astfalk who hosts an #OpenBook Linkup on CatholicMom.com . Here's what I'v...