Friday, November 05, 2010

Revisiting "The Confessions of St. Augustine"

A few weeks ago, a friend of mine asked me about The Confessions of St. Augustine . I couldn't recall much. After all, it has been nearly 15 years since I last spent time with this classic. So, I am rereading it. I've wanted to get into reading some of the "Great Books" anyway, and this one most definitely qualifies. I thought I'd share some quotes with you as I make my way through.

"Yet still man, this small portion of creation, wants to praise you. You stimulate him to take pleasure in praising you, because you have made us for yourself, and our hearts are restless until they can find peace in you."

"Oh that I might find my rest and peace in you! Oh, that you would come into my heart and so inebriate it that I would forget my own evils and embrace my one and only good, which is you! What are you to me? Have mercy on me that I may speak. What am I to you, that you should demand to be loved by me? That you should be angry with me if I fail to love you, and should threaten me with the utmost misery? And not to love you, is not this in itself misery enough?"


No comments:

#OpenBook for March 2024

  Welcome to #OpenBook. I'm joining up with Carolyn Astfalk who hosts an #OpenBook Linkup on CatholicMom.com . Here's what I'v...