Friday, April 13, 2012

Movie Review: October Baby

October Baby opened in my corner of the world today and I was so happy to have the opportunity to go see it with my friends. Honestly, I wasn't sure what to expect. I knew that the message would be good and that is what I wanted to support. I've seen Fireproof and Bella, both of which were good movies with a good message, but I can't say that I loved either of those. I was happy to promote them and support them because we need more of these types of movies in the world, but they were lacking a bit in the cinematic excellence department (Bella was better than Fireproof.) I had the feeling this movie would be more of the same.

I am thrilled to report that October Baby is different. This is a good movie. It has a compelling story line and is entertaining while sharing its message of forgiveness. As I am sure most of you are aware by now, it tells the story of Hannah Lawson, who survived a botched abortion attempt. At age nineteen, she is told the truth, and sets out to find her birth mother. It is a classic story of a heroine going on a journey to find herself. I laughed. I cried. It even has a sweet romance, based on love and friendship, rather than lust. It has a PG13 rating due to the subject matter, but it is definitely a great movie for teens and up.

The only small criticism I have is that there is a part in the movie when Hannah's friend Jason tells Dr. Lawson (Hannah's adoptive father) that "She is not your daughter." On behalf of adoptive parents everywhere, the doctor's response should have been, "I am her father in every way that matters." For whatever reason, the writers have him ignore the comment.

Overall, however, this is an enjoyable, powerful movie. If it is playing in an area near you, please go see it. It matters how we spend our entertainment dollars and we need to support movies like this.

No comments:

How to Pray for Your Adult Children

  When our children become adults, our relationship with them changes. Even if they continue to live in our homes, in most cases, our role...