Thursday, December 27, 2012

5 Ways to Keep the Christmas Spirit Alive in Your Heart

This week of the year kills me - every year. My depression seems to be at its yearly peak, I'm suffering from post-holiday malaise, I get another year older (my birthday is December 26th) and the combination of that and the end of the calendar year compels me to look at my life and want to throw in the towel (I know that isn't actually an option).

Honestly, I just try to get through it. I know that the light will come at the other end of the tunnel (usually sometime in March when the days start to become springlike). In the meantime, I try to keep busy, go about my daily routine, eat vast amounts of chocolate and cope and function as best I can.

Lisa Hendey offers a better way of surviving this week in her article: Five Ways to Keep Christmas Spirit Alive in Your Heart. I especially like her idea of "being of service." I always find that helping someone else helps me feel better, no matter how dark the day may seem.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bless your heart...it is a bit of a let down. But when I think about it, I realize its maybe more about exhaustion than let down. And, A bit of relief mixed with cagey kids and mixed up schedules. Allow time to care for yourself and celebrate His birth inside your own heart, in your own way.
:) Thank you, this was beautifully written

Patrice Fagnant-MacArthur said...

Thank you :)

#OpenBook for March 2024

  Welcome to #OpenBook. I'm joining up with Carolyn Astfalk who hosts an #OpenBook Linkup on CatholicMom.com . Here's what I'v...