Wednesday, December 05, 2012

A Time for Making Peace

Families are messy things. You put all those imperfect people together and well, the results are less than ideal. Plus, God has a sense of humor and creates parent/child combos and sibling combos that sometimes seem to inherently rub each other the wrong way. Add in a few in-laws and/or step-families and the drama just seems to add up.

The bible story I read to the kids tonight was The Prodigal Son. We are using My Big Book of Catholic Bible Stories which was compiled by my friend Heidi Hess Saxton.




The reflection for this story was as follows: Is there someone in your life you find impossible to love, or to forgive - maybe right in your family? Take a step toward getting back together today! Light a candle, write a letter, make a phone call, or talk to the person. God is pleased when we take steps, however small, toward unity.

Advent is a perfect time to take those steps toward making peace. What can you do today to help mend fences. Who do you need to forgive? (whether or not they ask for forgiveness) Who do you need to ask for forgiveness? Who do you need to be more kind to?


1 comment:

Heidi Hess Saxton said...

Wow! That's neat that your reading this book for Advent. And you know what? I'm happy to report that today I have a great relationship with the one I was writing about, all because I took that series of small steps. At just the right time, God worked it all out.

Happy Advent! Heidi

#OpenBook for March 2024

  Welcome to #OpenBook. I'm joining up with Carolyn Astfalk who hosts an #OpenBook Linkup on CatholicMom.com . Here's what I'v...