Friday, April 16, 2010

Jesus Wept

Yesterday, I was in a bad place. Just one of those days when all sorts of emotions were simmering just below the surface for no apparent reason. I was on the verge of tears most of the day and trying to get through life normally, pretending I wasn't. (Yes, today was better.)


Interestingly enough, I have been reading God Never Blinks: 50 Lessons for Life's Little Detours the past few days (review to come soon). In it, Regina Brett writes:

One of my favorite verses in the Christian Bible is the shortest one of all: "Jesus wept." He showed his humanity. He shed messy, unmanly tears. He didn't do it in private. He did it in front of his friends and followers. In front of a crowd.

We need to stop hiding our tears and actually share them. It takes a strong person to cry. It takes a stronger person to let others see those tears. We need to be tough enough to be tender, no matter who is watching.

No comments:

#OpenBook for March 2024

  Welcome to #OpenBook. I'm joining up with Carolyn Astfalk who hosts an #OpenBook Linkup on CatholicMom.com . Here's what I'v...