Thursday, January 20, 2022

January 20 - Our Lady of the Miracle (Madonna del Miraculo) - Rome

 

Our Lady of the Miracle is the title of a painting by Domenico Bartolini in the Church of Sant’ Andrea delle Fratte in Rome. The image is based on a vision of Mary experienced by Alphonse Ratisbonne in 1842. Alphonse was a Jewish man who had studied law and was engaged to be married when, on January 20, 1842, Mary appeared to him and changed the course of his life. He converted to Catholicism, entered the Society of Jesus, and was ordained in 1848. With the blessing of Pope Pius IX,  he joined his older brother Théodor, also a Catholic priest, in the Congregation of Our Lady of Sion which was dedicated to the conversion of Jews to the Christian faith. Alphonse moved to Palestine in 1855 to open a convent for the sisters of the congregation and lived out the rest of his life there.

In speaking of his vision, Alphonse stated:

All I can say is that the moment when the Blessed Virgin made a sign with her hand, the veil fell from my eyes; not one veil only, but all the veils which were wrapped around me disappeared, just as snow melts beneath the rays of the sun. I am asked how I attained a knowledge of these truths, since it is well known that I never opened a religious book, had never read a page of the Bible, and that the dogma of original sin, which is either denied or utterly forgotten by the modern Jews, had never for a single moment occupied my thoughts—indeed, I doubt whether I had ever heard the words which express it. How, then, did I arrive at a knowledge of it? I know not. All that I know is that when I entered that church I was profoundly ignorant of everything, and that when I came out I saw everything clearly and distinctly. (https://loretopubs.org/conversion-of-marie-alphonse-ratisbonne-the.html)


 

Image from: https://allaboutmary.tumblr.com/post/107449469537/madonna-del-miracolo-a-detail-of-the-painting-of

Prayer

Blessed Mother, you opened Alphonse’s heart and mind to the truth of Jesus Christ. Open our hearts and minds as well so that we may know and believe all that your son taught.

Reflection

Are there areas of the Catholic faith that you struggle with? Perhaps consult the Catechism of the Catholic Church for further knowledge or clarification of the Church’s teaching. Pray for wisdom and understanding.

No comments:

How to Pray for Your Adult Children

  When our children become adults, our relationship with them changes. Even if they continue to live in our homes, in most cases, our role...